Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Home Front Textiles

As this month is the 70th anniversary of the Second World War  I thought it would be a good chance to bring out my collection of wartime home front textiles and ephemera. I'll  give  a talk and display  my collection here at the shop on Thursday 27th August  from 7pm until 8.30ish  (we'll have a cup of tea as well). The collection isn't huge but includes propaganda fabrics, senninbari amulet belts, fabric air raid helmets, a comfort doll, magazines, postcards etc.  If you'd like to come along  there's no charge but I don't have a lot of space so please send me an email or give me a call so I know how many are coming.

Late1930's undergarment fabric:

Detail of senninbari ('thousand people needle') amulet belt:


 Imon ningyo (comfort doll) designs by Nakahara Junichi:


No comments:

Post a Comment